Dr. Ihsan Ayyub Qazi @ LUMS
· Our work on detecting audio deepfakes using acoustic microfeatures will appear in INTERSPEECH 2021!
· Our work on mobile Web browsing under memory pressure has been accepted to appear in ACM SIGCOMM CCR, October 2020
· Delighted to receive the Facebook Research Award 2020 for our work on countering deepfake misinformation among low digital-literacy populations. Looking forward to working with Dr. Ayesha Ali (Project PI, Assistant Professor of Economics at LUMS) and Dr. Agha Ali Raza (Co-PI, Assistant Professor of CS at LUMS)
· Chairing the SIGCOMM20 Poster Session. Please consider submitting!
· Our work on Google Web Light service will appear in WWW 2020!
· Our work on building applications over a new communication channel that uses missed calls has been accepted at ACM CHI 2020.
· We have multiple openings for PhD students interested in mobile web/video, ICTD, edge computing, and online privacy. If interested, send me an email!
· Gave a talk at Google (San Francisco, CA) on quality of experience of popular mobile applications (09/19).
· Our work on reducing tail latency in cloud datacenters using duplicate-aware scheduling has been accepted at ACM CoNEXT 2019!
· Two of our research works have been accepted at the American Economic Association (AEA)’s Annual Meeting for a poster presentation.
· Our work on digital literacy and misinformation was presented at Facebook.
· Invited to serve in the TPC of ACM HotNets 2019.
· Delighted to receive the Facebook Integrity Foundational Research Award 2019 for our proposal on the interplay between digital literacy and misinformation in Pakistan. Looking forward to working with Dr. Ayesha Ali (Project PI), Assistant Professor of Economics at LUMS.
· Honored to receive the LUMS Alumni Achievement Award.
· Our work on workload adaptive flow scheduling has been accepted at ACM CoNEXT 2018
· Our work on enabling multiple IoT stacks on a single radio has been accepted at ACM CoNEXT 2018
· Presented C-Saw at ACM SIGCOMM 2018 in Budapest, Hungary.
· Delighted to receive a ACM SIGCOMM CCR best paper award for our work on Facebooks Free Basics platform. Our work will be presented at ACM SIGCOMM 2018 in Budapest, Hungary! (https://goo.gl/eJ7opL)
· Our work on incentivizing Internet censorship measurements has been accepted at ACM SIGCOMM 2018. Many congrats to the C-Saw team!
· Attended a mini-workshop and gave a talk on Mobile Web Performance at Google, Seattle, USA (April, 2018)
· Gave a research talk at University of Washington, Seattle, USA (April, 2018)
· Received a grant to establish a research lab on edge computing as part of the National Center in Big Data & Cloud Computing. Looking forward to working on exciting research with my colleagues (and Co-PIs): Dr. Hamad Alizai, Dr. Zafar Qazi, and Dr. Basit Shafiq.
· LUMS wins the bid to establish the first National Center in Big Data & Cloud Computing in Pakistan. The center will comprise 12 labs, hosted in 11 Universities across Pakistan. Looking forward towards making a long-term impact on the research and innovation ecosystem of Pakistan.
My research aims to improve the user experience, affordability, accessibility, and privacy of networked systems. My current research centers on building technologies for the developing world, using computational social science, machine learning, and causal inference to develop approaches to combat the negative externalities of technology (e.g., fake news, lack of data privacy), and design of architectures, protocols, and applications for large-scale edge datacenters. I lead the Networks and Systems Group (NSG) at LUMS.
Fall 2019-21: CS334 Principles and Techniques of Data Science
Fall 2019: CS6312 Privacy in the Digital Age (Grad-level)
Spring 2012-21: CS678 Topics in Internet Research (Grad-level)
Spring 2012-21: CS202 Data Structures
Fall 2012-2017: CS501 Applied Probability (Grad-level)
Selected Publications (Complete list)
Fake Audio Detection in Resource-constrained Settings using Microfeatures [PDF] [BIBTEX]
Hira Yasin Dhamyal, Ayesha Ali, Ihsan Ayyub Qazi, and Agha Ali Raza
INTERSPEECH 2021, Czech Republic, August-September 2021
Mobile Web Browsing Under Memory Pressure [PDF] [BIBTEX]
Ihsan Ayyub Qazi, Zafar Ayyub Qazi, T. Benson, Ehsan Latif, Abdul Manan, G. Murtaza, Abrar Tariq
ACM SIGCOMM CCR, October 2020
Deconstructing Google's Web Light Service [PDF] [BIBTEX]
Ammar Tahir, Muhammad Tahir Munir, Shaiq Munir Malik, Zafar Ayyub Qazi and Ihsan Ayyub Qazi
WWW 2020, Taipei, April 2020 (acceptance rate = 19%)
MissIt: Using Missed Calls for Free, Extremely Low Bit-Rate Communication in Developing Regions [PDF] [BIBTEX]
Ihsan Ayyub Qazi*, Fahad Dogar*, Ali Raza Tariq, Ghulam Murtaza, Abeer Ahmad, Nathan Stocking
ACM CHI 2020, Honolulu, USA, April 2020 (acceptance rate = 24%)
Reducing Tail Latency using Duplication: A Multi-Layered Approach [PDF] [BIBTEX]
H. M. Bashir, Abdullah Bin Faisal, A. Jamshed, P. Vondras, Ali Musa, Ihsan A. Qazi, Fahad Dogar
ACM CoNEXT 2019, Orlando, USA, December 2019 (acceptance rate = 17%)
Scylla: Interleaving Multiple IoT Stacks on a Single Radio [PDF] [BIBTEX]
Hassan Iqbal, Hamad Alizai, Ihsan Ayyub Qazi, Olaf Landsiedel, Zartash Afzal Uzmi
ACM CoNEXT 2018, Greece, December 2018 (acceptance rate: 17%)
Workload Adaptive Flow Scheduling [PDF] [BIBTEX]
Abdullah Bin Faisal, H. Mohsin Bashir, Ihsan Ayyub Qazi, Zartash Uzmi, Fahad R. Dogar
ACM CoNEXT 2018, Greece, December 2018 (acceptance rate: 17%)
Incentivizing Censorship Measurements via Circumvention [PDF] [BIBTEX]
Aqib Nisar, Aqsa Kashaf, Ihsan Ayyub Qazi, Zartash Afzal Uzmi
ACM SIGCOMM 2018, Budapest, Hungary, August 2018 (acceptance rate: 18%)
Advertising under Internet Censorship [PDF] [BIBTEX]
Hira Javaid, H. Kamran Khalil, Zartash Afzal Uzmi, Ihsan Ayyub Qazi
ACM HotNets 2017, Palo Alto, USA, November 2017 (acceptance rate: 21.8%)
Inside the Walled Garden: Deconstructing Facebook's Free Basics Program [PDF] [BIBTEX]
Rijurekha Sen, Sohaib Ahmad, A. Phokeer, Zaid Farooq, Ihsan Ayyub Qazi, David Choffnes, Krishna Gummadi
ACM SIGCOMM CCR, October 2017
Load Balancing Over Symmetric Virtual Topologies [PDF] [BIBTEX]
Syed M. Irteza, Hafiz Mohsin Bashir, Talal Anwar, Ihsan Ayyub Qazi, Fahad R. Dogar
IEEE INFOCOM 2017, Atlanta, USA, May, 2017 (acceptance rate=20.9%)
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 25(1): 320-334, February 2017
Kamran Nishat, Farrukh Javed, Saim Salman, Nofel Yaseen, Ans Fida, Ihsan Ayyub Qazi
ACM CoNEXT 2016, Irvine, USA, December 2016 (acceptance rate: ~18%)
Redundancy Aware Network Stack [PDF] [BIBTEX]
Ali Musa Iftikhar, Fahad Rafique Dogar, Ihsan Ayyub Qazi
ACM HotNets 2016, Atlanta, USA, November 2016 (acceptance rate: 27.8%)
from the Other Side: Understanding Mobile Phone Characteristics in the
Developing World [PDF] [BIBTEX]
Sohaib Ahmad, Abdul Lateef Haamid, Zafar Ayyub Qazi, Zhenyu Zhou, Theophilus Benson, Ihsan Ayyub Qazi
ACM IMC 2016, Santa Monica, USA, November 2016 (acceptance rate: ~25%)
A Case for Marrying Censorship Measurements with Circumvention [PDF] [BIBTEX]
Aqib Nisar, Aqsa Kashaf, Zartash Afzal Uzmi, Ihsan Ayyub Qazi
ACM HotNets 2015, Philadelphia, USA, November 2015 (acceptance rate: ~18%)
Ali Munir, Ghufran Baig, Syed M. Irteza, Ihsan Ayyub Qazi, Fahad R. Dogar, Alex Liu
ACM SIGCOMM 2014, Chicago, USA, August 2014 (acceptance rate = 19%)
IEEE INFOCOM 2014, Toronto, Canada, April/May 2014 (acceptance rate = 19%)
Ali Munir, Ihsan Ayyub Qazi, Zartash A. Uzmi, Aisha Mushtaq, Saad N. Ismail, M. Safdar Iqbal, and Basma Khan
IEEE INFOCOM 2013, Turin, Italy, April, 2013 (acceptance rate=17%)
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 20(6), pp. 1721-1733, 2012
IEEE INFOCOM 2009, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, April 2009 (acceptance rate=19.7%)
IEEE INFOCOM 2008, Phoenix, USA, April 2008 (acceptance rate=20%)