Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering (SBASSE)
Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS)
Office: 9-240, Tesla Wing, EE Dept., SSE building.
Phone: (+92-42) 35608467
Email: imran DOT cheema AT lums DOT edu DOT pk
LinkedIn Profile, Google Scholar Profile
B.S., University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, Pakistan, 2002
M.S., University of Colorado-Boulder, USA, 2007
Ph.D., McGill University, Montreal, Canada, 2013
Postdoc, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, 2013
The BAP lab pursues projects that involve an innovative combination of electrical engineering, biology, chemistry, and physics to develop new and exciting solutions for various problems in the health care and agriculture sectors. We explore a wide range of research avenues, including photonics/electromagnetic systems modeling, developing real-time and portable optical sensors to detect diseases, water contamination, and milk contamination. The BAP lab is committed to training undergraduate and graduate students for high-impact research problems and preparing the skilled workforce for national industrial needs.
- The BAP lab receives funding from the LUMS faculty initiative fund (FIF) to develop optical sensors for pneumonia detection, Aug 2019.
- The BAP lab welcomes Javeria Ejaz as an RA, Jan 2019.
- Congratulations to Faiza, the group's second PhD student, on passing her qualifier in the first attempt, June 2018.
- The BAP lab receives funding from the LUMS faculty initiative fund (FIF) to develop free space milk contamination sensors, Feb 2018.
- The BAP lab welcomes Adee amjad as the Research Assistant, Jan 2018.
- The BAP lab welcomes Faiza Iftikhar as the group's second PhD student, Sep 2017.
- Congratulations to Ubaidullah, the group's first PhD student, on passing his qualifier in the first attempt, August 2017.
- Farhat Abbas joined the BAP lab as an RA, June 2017.
- The BAP lab gets funding from the ICT R&D fund, Pakistan for developing portable and rapid TB optical sensor, May 2017.
- The BAP lab gets funding from the Higher Education Pakistan (HEC) for developing water contamination optical sensor, May 2017.
- The BAP lab gets funding from the Pakistan Science Foundation (PSF) for developing milk contamination optical sensor, May 2017.
- Imran Cheema is invited for a panel disucssion on "New Opportunities for Water Informatics and Precision Agriculture in Industry and Governance" in the WIT summer school, May 2017.
- The BAP lab gets its first optical table. Thanks to all helping hands during the installation!, Feb 2017
- Imran Cheema gave a talk on "Is Photonics the Next Future?" to high schoolers in the National STEM School, Pakistan, Jan 2017.
- Taha Sajjad joined the BAP lab as an RA, Oct 2016.
- Our joint proposal (Co-PI: Prof. Sabieh Anwar ) for developing novel optical biosensors for point-of-care settings receives funding (Rs 1 million) from the LUMS faculty initiative fund (FIF), Oct 2016.
- Ubaid ullah joined the BAP lab as the first PhD student, Sep 2016
- Our proposal for developing novel optical sensors for detection of water contamnination receives funding (Rs 0.5 million) from the Centre for Water Informatics and Technology (WIT), LUMS, July 2016.
- Lab space for the BAP lab alocated, July 2016.
- Sabeeh Irfan joined the BAP lab as the first RA, June 2016.
- Imran Cheema gave a talk on cavity ring down spectroscopy based whispering gallery mode sensors in the COST MP1205 General Meeting and Conference , Istanbul, Turkey, April 2016.
- Imran Cheema joined the EE dept., LUMS Jan 2016.